Thursday, December 6, 2012

Missionary Cufflinks and Brag Charms


First ever cufflinks!  These are for my friend Valerie's son who just received his mission call to serve in the Utah, St. George LDS mission!  He loves cufflinks, so we made him this surprise for Christmas!  (Shhh!! Don't spoil the surprise!)  They have his mission scripture stamped on the back.  One reads: "Oh that I were an angel" and the other reads: "cry repentance unto every people."


Constructing these was definitely an experiment!  (The kind I like best!)  They are really fun, but certainly not perfect.  And they were a beast to photograph - they reflect everything!  I ended up with an extra cufflink front (it may or may not have a backwards stamped letter on the back side . . .) and couldn't bear to put it in my scrap pile, so I made it into a charm.  This can be strung onto a chain and worn as a necklace, or attached to a little lanyard and made into a zipper pull.  Either way, it's a fun little extra that I saved from the scrap pile!


This set of charms is for my friend, Karen, who also has missionary sons!  She had the idea of making "brag charms" to show off the accomplishments of her children.  Here, we have a BYU Idaho graduate and 3 missionaries.  Karen already has several pieces that I've made, so she can just string these onto an existing piece and away she goes!  They will layer so nicely with other necklaces.  They are a really fun way for a proud, hard-working mom to celebrate!



No comments: